Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: OT: Farmers, Workshop Make-Doers - HELP!

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    OT: Farmers, Workshop Make-Doers - HELP!

    I am ready to apply vinyl covering to a guitar amp and speaker cabinets. My problem is that I need to rout some 1/8 inch wide grooves as part of this process. I have a Dremel tool but no suitable router bit and don't trust my handsaw skills. In my country home town these bits are not available and mail-order delivery times are unpredictable.

    Has any one adapted a suitably sized nail to do this job? I would appreciate any advice. Time is a problem.

    Thanks, Marshall.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Farmers, Workshop Make-Doers - HELP!

    Hmmm... I'm a farmer/make-doer from way back, but that's a tough one. You must have a bigger Dremel than mine, I can already smell the smoke mine would emit if asked to do much 1/8th inch routing.

    What about a sharp-thread wood screw, cut off so you have a smooth shank for the Dremel end and threads to cut?

    Or Emery cloth folded over a carpenter square edge?

    Or parallel cuts with a utility knife and chisel out the middle with a little screwdriver?
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Farmers, Workshop Make-Doers - HELP!

    clamp suface flush with table..get a straight edge as a guide, set skill saw to the right depth, and let 'er rip..even if ya wanted to get a thin kerf blade and get a tighter fit
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Farmers, Workshop Make-Doers - HELP!

    If I score with a knife and use the thin kerf saw blade it should work OK, giving a clean cut. I'll try it on scap first.

    Thanks, fellas.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Farmers, Workshop Make-Doers - HELP!

    Hope you make your deadline.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.